This will be the second canning recipe that I use all the time from Farmers Market Cookbook. You can see my first recipe, Cracked Black Pepper and Lime Corn Relish.
Never canned? Have no fear Canning 101: The Basics will give you a great start.
These are spicy and are perfect gifts for your Bloody Mary drinking friends.
Canned Spiced Green Beans From Vegetariantimes.com Farmers Market Cookbook, 2010
- 2 lb. (8 cups) green beans, ends trimmed
- 3 tsp. peppercorns
- 3 tsp. mustard sees
- 1 tsp. whole allspice
- 4 cups distilled or cider vinegar
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled
- Sterilize 4 one quart jars. *I always sterilize extra just in case.
- Divide green beans, peppercorns, mustard seeds and allspice between jars, packing tightly without breaking green beans.
- Bring vinegar, garlic and 4 cups water to a boil in medium saucepan. Cook 1 minute.
- Pour vinegar mixture over green beans in jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Seal jars and process in boiling-water bath.
The labels are called "Garden Fresh Canning Labels" from Worldlabel.com. With these large jars I decided to cover with fabric scraps and tie with ribbon. The rubber bands cinch in the fabric so that it makes tying the ribbons SO easy.
Again, I am a girl who can CAN. *giggles
Decorating the jars makes it fun, especially when you are giving them as gifts to friends and family members.
Any questions? Let me know.